- To get rid of NAJAASATE HUKMIYYA by making use of clean earth or clay in a special way is called TAYAMMUM.
- TAYAMMUM is permitted when water is not available or when the use of water is injurious to health.
TAYAMMUM IS PERMITTED IN THE FOLLOWING CASES:
- When water is not available within a radius of approximately 1.7 Kilometers (one mile).
- When there is fear of any enemy or a dangerous animal or a snake near the water.
- When the water is so little that, if the water is used up for Wudhu or Ghusl then there is fear of
- When there is no rope or bucket to draw water from a well or one cannot reach water that is nearby
(due to some reason) and no other person is available to fetch the water.
- When it is known by one's own experience or a capable doctor says that the use of water would definitely
be injurious to one's health.
- When one does not have sufficient amount of money to pay for water which is being sold.
- Or if water is sold at a very ridiculous price.
- One is at a place where there is no water, he himself guesses or someone tells him that water is available
within approx one mile. It will now be necessary to fetch water and perform Wudhu.
- It will not be necessary to fetch water if:
- there is no trace of water;
- no one is present to give information regarding water;
- It is believed that water will be found after a distance of approx. I mile or more.
- Tayammum will now be permissible for Wudhu.
- If so little water is available that a person can only carry out the four FARAA'ID of WUDHU, then
TAYAMMUM is not permissible.
- If something NAJIS had fallen on the ground or sand etc., it is not permissible to use that earth
for TAYAMMUM even if it dries up. But Namaaz on that place is permissible after it has become dry.
- Q If there is very little water, and one is in need of GHUSL or WUDHU and his clothes and body is
also NAJIS (Napaak) what should one do?
A First: One should wash off the NAJAASAT from one's body and clothes.
(Compulsory Acts) of Tayammum
THERE ARE THREE FARZ IN TAYAMMUM
FARAA'IZ (COMPULSORY ACTS) OF TAYAMMUM :
- NIYYAT (intention)
- Striking both hands on earth and rubbing them on the face.
- Striking both hands on earth and rubbing both forearms including the elbows.
Masnoon way of Tayammum
FIRST RECITE :
AND MAKE NIYYAT
For GHUSL one should make the intention:
"I am making TAYAMMUM
For WUDHU one should make the intention:
"I am making TAYAMMUM for WUDHU".
Make NIYYAT or intention in the following way :
"O Allah, I am making TAYAMMUM for WUDHU or GHUSL, to perform my NAMAAZ or recite the QURAAN SHARIF,
Strike both hands on clean earth or dust. Then dust the hands and blow off the excess dust or earth
on the hands.
Rub both the hands over the complete face without leaving a hair's breadth of space.
Strike both hands again on the ground.
Then dust the hands and blow off the excess dust.
Rub the left hand over the complete right hand including the elbow.
Rub the right hand over the complete left hand including the elbow.
Then do KHILAL of fingers. If one is wearing a ring it is necessary to remove it or at least revolve
It is SUNNAT to do KHILAL of the beard also .
TAYAMMUM IS ALLOWED FOR BOTH WUDHU AND GHUSL.
ITEMS ON WHICH TAYAMMUM IS PERMITTED
- Taahir earth.
- Baked earthen pots (Unglazed).
- Walls of mud, stone or brick.
- All items which have thick dust on them.
ITEMS ON WHICH TAYAMMUM IS NOT PERMITTED
- Food items.
- All items which burn to ash, rot or melt.
Things on which TAYAMMUM is allowed need not be covered with dust.
If there is a stone, brick or clay pot, it can be used for TAYAMMUM even after it was washed clean
and has no dust on it.
TAYAMMUM is permissible if one is on the point of missing the:
- JANAZA NAMAAZ or
- EIDAIN NAMAAZ
There is no Qazaa for these two Namaaz.
It will not be necessary to repeat the Namaaz already performed for water be found after the Namaaz.
The duration of TAYAMMUM is as long as water is not available or the helplessness continues. This can
last for years.
NAWAQISE (Breakers of) TAYAMMUM
Things which break WUDHU also break TAYAMMUM.
TAYAMMUM for GHUSL breaks only after HADASE AKBAR.
TAYAMMUM done when water is not found, breaks when water is found.
Tayammum done due to a disease, breaks when one is cured from that disease.
One can perform any number of Namaaz by one TAYAMMUM as long as it does not break.
TAYAMMUM done for FARZ Namaaz will be valid for NAFL, for reading the HOLY QURAAN, Janaza Namaaz, Sajda-E-Tilaawat
and for all other kinds of Namaaz.
MASAH ON THE KHUF - FAIN (MOZAH)
:KHUF-FAIN are a special type of socks. Instead of washing the feet during Wudhu, it is permissible
to pass moist hands over such socks. This is known as MASAH ALAL KHUF-FAIN.
THE CONDITIONS FOR MASAH
- The socks must be strong enough to enable walking in them on roads for approximately three miles without
the socks tearing.
- The socks should remain in position (covering the foreleg) without being tied. They should not slip.
Socks which have elastic sewn into them (to keep them in position) will be regarded as being tied.
- Water must not be able to seep through.
- The socks must not be transparent or even semitransparent.
- If only one sock was removed then, too, it is Waajib to remove the other one and wash both feet.
- Even if only the foreleg is exposed by lowering the Khuff, it will be regarded as if the whole sock
has been removed. It will then be COMPULSORY to remove the Khuffain and wash both feet.
- It is not permissible to make Masah on a Khuff which is torn to such an extent that an area equal
to the size of three small toes is exposed. It is permissible to make Masah on the sock if it is torn less than this.
- If the seam of the Khuff comes loose, but while walking the foot is not exposed, Masah on such Khuffain
will be valid.
- If a Muqeem who has made Masah Alal Khuffain goes on a journey before the expiry of 24 hours, then
his masah may be extended to 72 hours. His Masah will now be valid for 72 hours.
- If a Musaafir who has made Masah Alal Khuffain, returns to his home town then his Masah will be valid
for only 24 hours.
- It is permissible to make Masah on ordinary woolen, etc, socks which have been covered with leather
- If Ghusl becomes compulsory then Masah Alal Khuffain will not be permissible even if the valid period
has not yet expired. The Khuffain must be removed when the Ghusl is taken and the feet washed.
- If after making Masah one sets foot in a puddle of water and water enters the Khuff wetting more than
half the foot, then Masah will be nullified. Both Khuffain must be removed and the feet washed.
- What is Tayammum?
- Mention seven instances when Tayammum is permissible.
- Can Tayammum and Namaaz be made on ground on which something Najis has fallen and become dry?
- If a person's body and clothes are Najis and the person is in need of Wudhu or Ghusl, then what should
he do if the time for Salaat has come and he has very little water?
- Mention the compulsory acts of Tayammum.
- Explain in detail and in correct order the Masnoon procedure of Tayammum.
- Should the Khilal of fingers and the bard be done during Tayammum?
- What is it to make Khilal of the fingers and beard during Tayammum.
- Mention eight items on which Tayammum is permitted.
- Is Tayammum permissible for Wudhu and Ghusl or only for Wudhu?
- Mention five items on Tayammum is not permitted.
- Is it necessary for items to cover with dust for Tayammum?
- Can a stone, brick or clay pot be used for Tayammum even though it has been washed and is free from
- If one has the fear of missing ............... Namaaz and................ Namaaz, it is permissible
to make Tayammum.
- Name two Salaats for which there is no Qaza.
- If water is found after Salaat has been performed, is it necessary to repeat the said Salaat?
- What is the duration of Tayammum?
- Mention the Nawaaqis of Tayammum.
- When does Tayammum for Ghusl break?.
- Can the performance of one Tayammum be valid for a number of Salaats?
- Explain the word "KHUFFAIN".
- What is Masah Alal Khuffain?
- Mention the four conditions of Masah.
- What will happen if a condition is lacking?
- Is it permissible to make Masah on nylon or woolen socks?
- What is essential for the Masah to be valid?
- Will Masah be permissible if the Khuffain have been put on after an incomplete Wudhu?
- What is the period of Masah for a Musaafir?
- For what period can a Muqeem make Masah?
- From when will the period of 48 or 72 hours be calculated?
- What will happen upon the expiry of this period?
- What should be done upon the expiry of this period? Is it necessary to renew the entire Wudhu?
- What is the method of Masah Alal Khuffain?